One year ago today, our Tucker slipped out of the house and went missing. It was such a surreal time, full of emotions. Here's what I learned from the experience, and from finding him.
1. Always be watchful when you leave your home. Do a headcount before shutting the door. It's that one time you "quickly dash out" when something could happen.
2. Guilt can consume you.
3. Jim and I loved Tucker equally. Not that I doubted it before, but seeing Jim searching late into the night made my heart ache with both sadness and happiness.
4. We learned a lot about looking for a lost cat, and wrote a lengthy post about it. We know at least one person has found their cat based on what we wrote. While we don't wish this experience on anyone, we're thrilled it could help someone else.
5. True happiness at being reunited. As long as I live, I will never forget the details in the night I found him. This photo will be my all-time favorite, probably always. I had no idea how much I was smiling in this photo until I looked at it later.
6. Treasure every day together. Life is short and precious.