Monday, August 14, 2017

What we did on summer vacation

Jim and I had a good time on vacation. Things went well with the cats and the new cat sitter (Lucy was sitting in her lap by the third day!).

We went to my uncle's cabin in Door County, Wisconsin. I went kayaking for the first time and really liked it! I didn't fall in and only got one foot wet while getting out. This is me with my nephew.

We went back to the National Railroad Museum in Green Bay. They have a wonderful display of railroad china. Of course, I had to photograph the Chessie plates.

We learned that for $3 each, we could ride in the cab of a locomotive. We rode in a 1950s era diesel--pretty cool.

We stopped for a meal at Titletown Brewery (located in an old railroad depot).

We then drove across the state and went to the Mall of America, where, to my delight, there is a Tim Hortons. I love their coffee and it's hard to find except on Amazon.

We stopped by a large hobby shop where Jim worked years ago. They have all sorts of neat stuff. I found a new Schleich kitty that looks like Lucy.

We went to Faribault, Minnesota, which is notable for two reasons. First, it was the birthplace of the Tilt-A-Whirl.

Second, the downtown scenes for the movie Grumpy Old Men were filmed there. This was the drug store (which, sadly, is now a pawn shop).

Lastly, I test-drove this car. It's a go and I'm picking it up on Friday.

8 comments:

Laila and Angel Minchie said...

What a fun vacation! How fun to ride in the cab of a locomotive!

The Rosie Bee said...

Looks like you had a blast! I'm so glad. :) And yay on the car!

Anonymous said...

I did not know there was a Tim Hortons in the USA. But then, I can make it to Canada. A replacement vehicle is always nice. Got some room in the back for some cats I see.

Eastside Cats said...

My grandfather worked for Pullman Car Company, which were the railroad sleeper cars. I have a Pullman blanket made from wool, stamped with their logo. Tim Horton's shops are EVERYWHERE around here; not sure if it's because we (Michigan) are so close to Canada or what, but honestly, they are everywhere. Cannot tell the manufacturer of your car, but I'm glad you've found something that you like!

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

What a fun vacation! Can you believe we've been to Canada twice and my human hasn't yet been to a Tim Hortons? It's embarrassing!

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

only three bucks! that's a deal. Glad you had a good time

pilch92 said...

Glad you had a nice vacation and the kitties were well cared for. I haven't heard of that coffee before, but it must be good. Congrats on the new car too!

The Island Cats said...

Looks like you had a really fun time! We didn't realize Tim Horton's isn't available everywhere. We have Tim Horton places all over here. Maybe because we're so close to Canada.

A Sadie while I work from home

 I could hardly believe my eyes a couple of weeks ago. Sadie came and sat on the futon behind me as I worked from home one day. She'd ne...