Saturday, December 20, 2008

Old fashioned hard candy

One of my favorite things to make during the holidays is hard candy. It's something few people bother to make anymore, but that gets rave reviews when I give it as a gift. As a side note, it also makes the house smell wonderful.

This recipe is an old one from my Grandma's Niespodzany's recipe box. I do not know its origin.

1 c. sugar
1/2 c. light corn syrup
1/3 c. cold wter
1/4 t. flavoring oil (must be OIL not extract)

Line a baking pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.

Combine sugar, corn syrup, and water in medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved.

Cook until it reaches hard crack stage (310 degrees on a candy thermometer). While it is boiling DO NOT STIR. Remove from heat and stir in flavoring and food coloring (if desired).

Pour into prepared pan. As it's hardening, cut a knife or metal-edged spatula to press score marks into the candy. When cool, break into small pieces. Dust with a little powdered sugar if desired.

Notes:
1. Works best if you make a double batch.
2. Use coordinating food coloring to match the flavor--red for cinnamon, green for peppermint, etc.
3. Store in glass jars or cellophane bags.
4. Flavoring oils can be found in a number of stores during the holidays, or you can order online at LorAnns.

No comments:

A Sadie while I work from home

 I could hardly believe my eyes a couple of weeks ago. Sadie came and sat on the futon behind me as I worked from home one day. She'd ne...