Thursday, March 12, 2009

How to make laundry soap

A few weeks ago, I came across a thread on a forum about making laundry soap. Then, when I visited relatives recently, my sister Cheryl said she had made some and it worked well.

This piqued my interest, so I made some too. Here is the recipe I used for a smaller batch:

1/8 bar Fels naptha soap
1/4 c. washing soda (NOT baking soda, see photo above)
1/4 c. borax
2 c. water

Grate the soap. Heat the water on the stovetop and add the soap. Stir (I used a wire whisk) until the soap dissolves. Remove from heat. Add washing soda and borax. Pour into a gallon ice cream pail. Fill the pail 1/2 way with warm water, then add three more cups of water. Stir.

Mixture will gel up overnight. Add 1/4-1/2 c. per load, depending on size of washer.


After a night of sitting, the soap will look like it does above--sort of like pudding that's been in the fridge too long. Measure out a glop and use like any other soap. It works great and costs just a penny or two per load.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Creative?

mkthudson said...

This is so neat! You do the coolest things.

-susan

Valerie said...

I am glad the formula worked for you. Cute blog post - its looks like mine :)
Happy Cleaning!

Two kitties on the porch couch

Ringo and Lucy both love to sneak out on the porch anytime they can (with sneak meaning that Jim opens the door for them).