Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Strawberry jam

It's the time of year when berries are ripening! I made some strawberry jam a couple of days ago. It's very easy to make. Here's the recipe I used (originally from Natural Health magazine, modified by me).

3 quarts ripe strawberries, washed, stemmed and cut into pieces
1 package powdered pectin (1.75 oz.)
8 cups sugar

Brush berries with a potato masher in a large bowl. Add pectin and stir well, pour into large pot and turn on high heat. Bring to a full boil (bubbles should cover the entire surface). Add sugar, continue stirring and return to a full boil. Boil rapidly for one minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, skim top. Allow to cool five minutes and skim again.

Ladle into sterilized canning jars, leaving 1/4" of space at the top. Place lids on jars. Place jars on a rack in a pot of simmering water, making sure jars are completely covered with water. Boil for 15 minutes; cool. Carefully remove from water. Check for proper seal. Store in a cool, dark place.

NOTES:
Save the skimmed jam--it's still good on toast. Nothing beats fresh jam (my Grandma taught me that)!

The seals on the jars might take several hours to seat. You may hear popping noises as they cool and the jars seal. This is normal.

The brand of pectin you choose might require less sugar. I used 8 cups for a double batch.

ENJOY!

4 comments:

Amy & the house of cats said...

Yum! That sounds good and really easy to make! I may need to find some strawberries around here and try it! My dad used to make raspberry jam when we had bushes but I have never tried to do it myself. I didn't realize it was so easy (I was little when we had the bushes so it of course seemed complicated).

Anonymous said...

Mom tended to make freezer jam; but I do remember counting the popping jar lids from pickle days. I kind of miss canning - though I've never tried it myself. Love the new banner, BTW.

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

My Mom canned a lot when i was a kid!

A few Good Cats said...

Oh wow, does that look good!

Two kitties in a basket

 Check out this cuteness! Lucy and Ringo both squeezed into the old wicker bed. We've had this bed for many years; it was Benny's wh...