Tuesday, September 10, 2013

My newest kitchen gadget

A few months ago, a friend of mine bought a food dehydrator at a thrift store. After that, I couldn't stop thinking about getting one for myself. . .and the next time we got together to thrift, I found one for $6.99! Score!

The first thing I made was some nacho cheese kale chips. They took about an hour and are oh-so-good.


Here is the recipe I used:
one bunch curly kale (I bought organic)
1/4 red pepper, diced
1/4 c. cashews
1/4 c. nutritional yeast *
dash of cayenne pepper (or more if you like the heat)
1-2 T. water

Wash and pat dry the kale. Tear the leaves into pieces and put in a bowl.
Put all the other ingredients--except the water--in a food processor and pulse until it's ground. Add a tiny bit of water and pulse until it holds together. Use your hands to mix with the kale leaves. Mix until each leaf is well coated with the mixture. Put in dehydrator. Time may vary--mine took one hour.

*Nutritional yeast is carried in most larger grocery stores and health-food stores. I found mine in the natural food section.

Yummy--and bonus, the cats don't seem to like them! Ha!


7 comments:

Old Kitty said...

I have never heard of such a gadget!! Wow! They make nachos?!?!

Now I do love kale too!! Amazing recipe, thank you! Take care
x

The Rosie Bee said...

I'm going to try making kale chips this weekend. :)

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

My human LOVES kale chips! I think she is a little crazy, but if it keeps her from stealing my cat food, fine.

Roberta said...

Oh, that looks so good and nutritious.

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

and apparently perfectly done after a nice bike ride :)

total score on finding one at the thrift store!

Saku said...

I've never heard of kale chips either. They look interesting.

I really like your harvest banner, it looks fantastic!

The Island Cats said...

Yeah, we don't think we would like those things either. ;)

Two kitties in a basket

 Check out this cuteness! Lucy and Ringo both squeezed into the old wicker bed. We've had this bed for many years; it was Benny's wh...