Thursday, August 25, 2016

Health updates on the cats

All three cats went to the vet yesterday. Given the chaos of the day, I don't have any photos to share, and I apologize in advance.

Ringo: In for his annual check up. All is well with him, with the exception of we'll be monitoring his anal glands. I had the vet check them because he seems to lick his bottom more than other cats we've had. One was pretty full, so we'll see how he does in the coming months. He was a good boy during that, but let me know his displeasure by howling all the way home!


Sadie: She's had some fur loss for a few weeks, and I was monitoring her at first. Last week, she really started losing/pulling more--her belly, bottom, sides, and even her paws are getting bare. I had skin scrapings and blood work done on her--both normal. She's always been an unsettled cat, but it's worsened in the past year or so. She is afraid of storms, and will hide even if it is raining. Jim has been going through a stressful time at work, and she is his cat, so I imagine that isn't helping.

We will be starting her on prozac to see if she improves. I want her to feel more comfortable and happy with everyday life. We'll keep you posted on her progress.


Benny: At his last appointment a few months ago, I asked the vet to run a thyroid test. He started waking me up for food in the morning, a new habit. His numbers were on the high end of normal. We rechecked, and sure enough, he's now hyperthyroid. I've started him on medication and he'll get rechecked in a month.

His liver values continue to be high, but our vet said that hyperthyroidism can bump them up. We'll see what happens with them in a few months.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I had a kitty who had some issues with anal glands. After a couple of times manually expressing them, the problem seemed to clear up. Wasn't my favorite job as you can imagine but luckily I didn't have to do it for long.

Poor little Sadie. I feel for you. I also have a nervous cat who is pulling and gnawing. She hasn't tolerated meds but I am looking into holistic methods. I'll share with you if I find anything that works.

Benny is just at the right age for the issues he's having. I have several senior cats now, so I feel your pain.

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

I so feel for Sadie. It must be so hard being a nervous cat. I don't remember, have you tried Rescue Remedy before now? I'm totally not suggesting you skip what you are doing and do RR instead, just curious if you had tried it prior to this.

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

That was a lot, taking all three cats to the vet in one visit! My human's only done that once. Poor Sadie, being nervous and needing Prozac. I hope the meds work for Benny!

The Whiskeratti said...

Thanks for the update. We hope everything continues to be manageable for you.

Random Felines said...

hopefully it all remains manageable....

pilch92 said...

Poor Sadie, I hope the prozac helps.

Two kitties in a basket

 Check out this cuteness! Lucy and Ringo both squeezed into the old wicker bed. We've had this bed for many years; it was Benny's wh...