Thursday, April 13, 2017

Follow up to Benny and Adequan

In June of 2016, I wrote a post about using Adequan on Benny. He's been on this for nearly a year, and I thought I'd update you on how it's working.

I admit, Benny is starting to age. He's drinking more water and peeing more, and is a little slower in getting around. It pains me to see this. He's been a part of this household before I even moved in, and he's such a lovable cat.

However, Jim and I recently took a last-minute trip to his parents in Minnesota due to a family emergency. They have a cat named Buttons who is a few months older than Benny.

Seeing Buttons even unable to jump on a lower kitchen chair made my heart break. . .and it also make me realize that a) Benny is in great shape of this age and b) the Adequan is indeed helping Benny.

Benny has better days and worse days when it comes to jumping up. We've noticed he's changed some routines, and he sometimes hesitates before jumping--but he hasn't fallen in months. He plays nearly every day, something Buttons no longer does. I bought him a little glitter ball recently and he immediately played with it. That warmed my heart.

 I realize every cat is different, but it sure put things in perspective for me. I am pleased with how the Adequan is helping him.
Hey Mom, I feel pretty good.

8 comments:

Random Felines said...

that is good news. it is hard to see them age....Tommy is getting older. he still gets around well (note he was sleeping last night on the taller dresser) but he is getting then and is worries the mom

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

I'm glad the Adequan is working for Benny. Although Binga and Boodie are still jumping on things (somethings where they're not allowed, MOL!), they could probably use some help too.

Eastside Cats said...

Benny is looking good too!

pilch92 said...

I am glad Benny is doing well on Adequan.

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

So glad it is helping him with his quality of life

The Island Cats said...

We're glad adequan is helping Benny. Wally is having some problems jumping now. The mom is going to ask the vet about adequan.

Saku said...

We're sure happy to hear the Adequan is helping Benny. Our Sasha is close to 17 years and except for being thin (mom bean has been giving him extra soft food), he is still jumping and running and playing. Mom bean agrees, it does her heart good to see him happy.

M Dawson said...

I need to look this stuff. up. Dusty is getting older and has kidney issues but I might see if I can get it.

Two kitties in a basket

 Check out this cuteness! Lucy and Ringo both squeezed into the old wicker bed. We've had this bed for many years; it was Benny's wh...