Tuesday, August 21, 2018

All four cats go to the vet

For the first time ever, I brought all four cats to the vet at the same time. Their check ups were all due, and we save a little money when we bring multiple animals.

Ringo isn't thrilled about sharing the front seat with Sadie.
Mom, please let me out!

Benny and Lucy ride in the back.

I borrowed Jim's cart to wheel them in.

Lucy, Ringo, and Benny have a conference about how much this stinks.
We need to get her back somehow. . .

Sadie, Lucy, and Ringo checked out fine. We had some concerns about Benny and his butt scooting and pooping issues. He tends to have troubles with harder stools, and I had been giving him Miralax for a week with little results. The last time the vet checked his anal glands, he got very stressed--to the point of the vet was afraid he'd go into cardiac arrest.

I called ahead and picked up a sedative to give before the appointment. Unfortunately, the dose was little high and he was both wobbly and pacing. The vet was able to (mostly) express his anal glands and get a little blood for a basic blood panel. He did better with the sedative, so we may need to sedate him for the next appointment too, since we hope to get more blood for a comprehensive panel.

Overall, he is doing decently for his age. He has gained a pound since starting the gabapentin (yeah!) and while his kidney values are a little elevated, they aren't horrible. Unfortunately, the next day was full of loose stool and diarrhea, but we're past that and he's doing better now.

An item of note is that this is the second time I used Jim's cart to wheel in the cats, and it's made me stand out to the office staff! Maybe I should use the cart to wheel in some goodies next time. Hee hee.

10 comments:

pilch92 said...

I am glad Benny is holding his own. And that everyone else is good too. I used to have a vet that let me do a bunch at a time, but now I can only do 2 since VCA took over.

Eastside Cats said...

Yay for Sadie, Lucy and Ringo...better days are ahead, Benny!
Donuts for the vet staff will always make a good impression, something that I forget until too late.

Greg_1948 in_WA said...

Nice to hear things went well for them. That was brave taking all at once. My maximum is two at a time!

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

My human's done all three of us at once only one time, and that was with her boyfriend's help. I'm actually going in for my annual health screening for the therapy group today! I'm glad Benny is doing okay for his age.

Momma Kat and Her Bear Cat said...

We admire your courage! I thought I was being bad-a$$ taking TWO cats at the same time. I can't even imagine taking 4! Cart or not!

World of Animals, Inc. said...

We are happy everything is going well with all the little ones. We hope Benny continues getting better. Looks like one busy day for your momma. That's a whole lot of kitties in the car. Hope you are all home now and enjoying a great cat nap. Have a wonderful day.
World of Animals

The Island Cats said...

You were very brave taking all 4 cats at once. The most the mom has taken at one time is 2 of us and she says that’s a handful. We’re glad everybuddy checked out okay and we hope Benny’s poop issues improve. Sounds like over all he’s doing okay.

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

You are a brave woman! Glad everyone is doing mostly okay.

catladymac said...

Wow ! Two is my limit ! I'm glad it went ok - hope Benny gets better. Purrs !

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

I used a cart once.. people just thought I was weird for bringing eight cats at once.. they obviously never had issues with cat at the vet syndrome..

A Sadie while I work from home

 I could hardly believe my eyes a couple of weeks ago. Sadie came and sat on the futon behind me as I worked from home one day. She'd ne...