Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Look who's been coming around!

EDITED TO ADD: I regret to announce the passing of my uncle this morning. Rest in peace, Uncle Mike.

When we trapped Lucy, we knew she had a litter of kittens (they were about 6 months old at the time) but due to bad weather and un-cooperative neighbors, we could not catch any of them.

Only one seemed to have survive, and he was the image of his mom. He would show up near our house once in a while and then disappear for months.

Jim named him Diamond. To my surprise he appeared late last week and has been coming daily for food. I am trying to gain his trust and keep him coming for food, so I can get him in to the spay and neuter clinic. (This has always been my hope but again, he doesn't come by very often).




He is very skittish and nervous, though he's not truly feral. Even the click of the camera sends him bolting away. I'm trying to talk and pet him, a little more each day, before feeding him. Does anyone have tips for me?

8 comments:

Eastside Cats said...

Yes, I have a tip: TRAP HIM!
Don't let him be able to escape your grasp; trap him and get him neutered pronto. Waiting for a semi-feral cat to accept you can take months, years. Sweetie showed up in 2009, and I have only been able to pet her in the last few years. I trapped her using a drop-trap, since she avoided the regular humane traps (with a plate that they step on to bring the door down).

Random Felines said...

agreed - trap him then work on gaining his trust. sardines, tuna or KFC

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

rescue remedy in the food?

pilch92 said...

I am sorry about the loss of your uncle. I hope you can trap this guy and get him fixed and dewormed. He looks so bony, poor guy.

World of Animals, Inc. said...

We are sorry about the loss of your uncle. We hope that you are going to be better with each passing day. Diamond we hope everything goes well with you and that you are a healthy kitty when everything is done. Thanks for the share. Have a great day.
World of Animals

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

Paws crossed that you catch Diamond soon.

I'm so sorry about your Uncle Mike.

Momma Kat and Her Bear Cat said...

What a handsome boy! When I met Bear, he was outside. He came around pretty quickly after the first time I fed him. Then again, he's a cat that needs affection so I just got really lucky. We hope he comes around soon. Thank you for looking after him.

catladymac said...

Sorry to hear about the passing of Uncle Mike.

Good luck with handsome Diamond - trapping is good advice.

A Sadie while I work from home

 I could hardly believe my eyes a couple of weeks ago. Sadie came and sat on the futon behind me as I worked from home one day. She'd ne...