Monday, July 15, 2019

Benny and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Benny had a check up on Friday with the vet. It had been three months since he visited the vet, and I had some concerns. First, he seemed to have lost some weight, so I guessed his thryoid levels were off. Second, he had a few days with blood in his stools. And last but not least, and what I was most fearful of, was that sometimes when he rubbed me with his left check, he would shake his head afterward. I was afraid he had a dental issue (or something worse).

He had blood drawn, a full exam, and a rectal exam to check for anything unusual. The good news: no dental or rectal growths/tumors. The bad news: His thryoid levels are indeed off (we can fix that with a medication tweek) and he has a raging ear infection. I had no idea and feel bad about it, but I am relieved that he doesn't have anything more serious.

After the rectal exam he was very stressed and mouth breathing (and this was with mild sedation). The vet gave him an injection of lasix for his heart (he has a grade 3 murmur) and let him calm down several times during the exams. At one point I heard her talking to the tech behind the door, explaining his age and frailty, and was pleased to hear the care in her voice.

Benny was restless Friday night but thankfully has calmed down again. Thankfully, the other cats stayed away from him so he could relax in peace. There were treats and plenty of cuddles during the night. I stayed home and kept a close eye on his behavior.

I didn't take any photos of the day because I was concerned, so here are some non-stressed Benny photos.



14 comments:

Eastside Cats said...

Benny! Please feel better, sweetheart! Since the last time I took Angel to the vet and they found NOTHING WRONG, I hesitate to take any cat in when I get a twinge that they might be ill! Manny scratches his neck more often than I'd like, and Angel...well, she's 15 now. Please do not fret over Benny's ear infection; cats are very good at hiding stuff, and although we watch and monitor, we are only humans. He's on the mend now.

Colehaus Cats said...

Sweet Benny, we hope you are feeling better very soon. You're such a brave boy to go through that exam and we're rooting and purring for you! Quint says you are AWESOME!

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

I am purring for Benny to feel better soon!

Catscue Cat Mom said...

Sweet, brave Benny - I'm so glad your visit to the Vet went well and we love hearing good news. Rest up handsome, purrs to your Mom.

pilch92 said...

Poor Benny. I am glad it was nothing too bad.I will be praying for him. XO

Amy J said...

*hugs* Don't freak your human out like that anymore, mmm-kay? Good luck getting the thyroid meds to the right levels.

Random Felines said...

poor Benny - it is sad that doing your best freaks him out so much though

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

aww. I just want to hug him close.. I think I'll go hug Muffin..

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

Major purrs for sweet Benny...

The Island Cats said...

Aw, poor Benny. Those vet visits can be so stressful. We know. Sending him many purrs.

Momma Kat and Her Bear Cat said...

Poor guy. Being poked and prodded on both ends?! He was a good sport! And I'm relieved to know his issues are manageable.

Laila and Angel Minchie said...

Oh, Benny, you are such a brave mancat! Happy your issues are being managed.

catladymac said...

Purrayers and POTP that you are soon feeling better, sweet Benny !

Adeel said...

Nice article admin thanks for share your atricle keep share your knowledge i am waiting for your new post check mens winter jackets polo shirts kindly review and reply me

A Sadie while I work from home

 I could hardly believe my eyes a couple of weeks ago. Sadie came and sat on the futon behind me as I worked from home one day. She'd ne...