Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Bonsai tree!

I've wanted a bonsai (pronounced BONE sigh) tree for many years, and I recently bought one at a small nursery last week. It's a Juniper species.

I realized that Jim had given me a little cat figure that's reading a book, and it looks just right next to the tree.


I've borrowed a book from the library about bonsai and will eventually try my hand at pruning and shaping it. I've already learned that I need to replace the soil it's packed in with "real" bonsai soil (versus something that looks nice but isn't healthy for the tree).

8 comments:

Olka said...

Oh, usually when you buy any plant you have to replant it. Most of the people sell plants with the cheapest soil. But it's just a regular soil, without any minerals, which are needed by some species.

Eastside Cats said...

I remember visiting an art museum, which had a special show of bonsai trees. One really has to be WITH them, to feel the full effect of them!

Summer said...

My human wanted a bonsai tree when she was a kid. So, as she always did, she read up on their care - and decided it was too much work! MOL

World of Animals, Inc said...

That is a beautiful bonsai tree. The cat figure fits it just perfectly. We can't wait to see it grow in the future. Thanks for sharing. Have a wonderful day.
World of Animals

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

I have the same statue!

The Island Cats said...

What a sweet little tree.

pilch92 said...

That is so cute.

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

it is lovely.. I recently heard of a heist at a national bonsai gallery (I was only half listening) where someone stole some seventy five year old trees, one was started while the owner was in an internment camp..

I'm innocent, I swear!

 Lucy was in a playful mood last week, zooming around and messing up the hallway rug. However, when I'd come to take a photo, she'd ...