Sunday, April 8, 2018

Benny and the vet visit

On Friday night, I had a check up for Benny. Given his age and health issues, he sees the vet every 4 months. I had some concerns--he's lost more weight, he is howling/caterwauling far more, and he scoots his bum around after using the litter box. I asked the vet to check his anal glands just in case.

He needed blood drawn, urine sample taken, eye pressures taken (he has glaucoma), and by the time it was time for the anal glands he was beyond stressed. After two attempts the vet was able to express only one. Benny was very stressed, panting and labored breathing. Our vet was so concerned she gave him an injection of lasix to help his heart (he also has a heart murmur).

I went home and cried. It was a reminder of his age (17.5) and health issues. We lost Tucker before we had to deal with old cat age, and I suppose thinking of that made me cry too.

Benny is a sweet guy and I was quickly forgiven for the event. These were taken later Friday evening.



The vet called early Saturday morning. Overall, his blood panel looks good. His kidneys are in pretty good shape for his age. His urine is dilute (no surprise) but had little protein in it. However, his thryoid levels were way off, so he needs an increase in medication. That likely explains the howling and obviously the weight loss.

We love our boy and treasure each day with him. We're also happy to have a caring vet.

9 comments:

Greg_1948 in_WA said...

The older guys do need a lot more attention and more vet visits.

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

Poor Benny - I'm glad he recovered quickly from the vet visit, and that his panel was good overall. It sounds like he is actually doing pretty well for an older guy (he and Binga are nearly the same age). I bet the change in thyroid medicine will help the issues he's been having.

pilch92 said...

Benny is a sweet boy. I am glad his blood was good aside from thyroid.He is in my prayers. XO

The Island Cats said...

We’re glad that overall Benny is doing okay. And we hope the change in his thyroid medication will help.

The Rosie Bee said...

Oh, sweet Benny... I'm glad he's doing well for being a spry 17.5, but I know vet visits are never fun. I'm glad he has a kind vet and also two wonderful loving parents. <3

Eastside Cats said...

Poor Benny, getting poked and stabbed and anal glands...eek! Hope the med amount change does the trick.

Saku said...

I'm glad Benny is doing well for a senior cat - he's lucky to have you to care for him. His good nature shows through in the photos. What a sweetie!

Eileen

Laila and Angel Minchie said...

You are such sweet and brave mancat, Benny!

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

aww.. panting is never good. Poor boy.

I'm innocent, I swear!

 Lucy was in a playful mood last week, zooming around and messing up the hallway rug. However, when I'd come to take a photo, she'd ...