Thursday, May 23, 2019

Thrifty Thursday: Citywide rummage sale finds


Every year, I drive to my parents' house in May because their town has an annual citywide rummage sale day. My sister and I spend the day driving to sales, and it's a lot of fun. This year, I also convinced my dad to show his two 1960 Ford trucks in their annual car show (one was originally owned by his father, so he's the second owner). I took a bunch of photos and hope to make a photo book for his birthday next month.

This is his 1960 Ford F-250.

The weather was poor this year (40s and wet), so there were far fewer sales than usual. I did find two cozy mysteries.

My most exciting find was a large bag of vintage flour sacks for $10. It contained 24 flour sacks!

For those who don't know, back in the day, flour, sugar, and other consumables came in 50 or 100 pound bags. Folks kept the sacks and sewed things from them (dresses, kitchen towels, even underwear!). The fabric is heavy and great for a number of projects. Today's "flour sack" material just doesn't compare.


A couple of the sacks still have the designs on them.


The question that will come next is what will I do with them? I gave my mom a few to experiment with. I'm not honestly sure. They seem so "precious" and old that any project I do will be a special one. I honestly never expected to find any at a yard sale.

9 comments:

Eastside Cats said...

How cool is that...finding those sacks! I know you'll find a good use for them one day, but they were too good to pass up; I'd have done the same thing!
Here in Metro Detroit, we have antique and classic car shows every weekend, but the Grand-Daddy of them all is in August, called The Woodward Dream Cruise. If your dad likes vintage cars, he would enjoy the heck out of it!

Catscue Cat Mom said...

I love that truck! The flower sacks are a awesome find - keep us updated on what you do with them. A town-wide rummage sale is awesome, I wonder if anywhere around here does that, I'll have to check.

Laila and Angel Minchie said...

Maybe one flour sack you should make some catnip toys with.

pilch92 said...

Great photo of your Dad with his truck. The flour socks are a nice find.

World of Animals, Inc said...

Thanks for sharing. Wish the weather could have been better to see more stuff on sale. We hope your dad has a wonderful upcoming birthday and my dad would have loved his 60 Ford F-250. Have a great day.
World of Animals

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

I thought of you last weekend! I went to a neighbor's garage sale and found a Boyds Bear cat statue. This summer I hope to do more yard sales and flea markets.

The Island Cats said...

What cool finds! Those sacks are great. The mom has seen them made into pillows. Especially if the design is unique. Your dad’s truck is pretty cool too.

Dash Kitten Crew said...

I love the truck - Magnificent AND only two owners eh :-)

We don't have the kind of sack history you have over here. They look amazing.

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

make some underwear out of them??

The book is a lovely idea

Two kitties in a basket

 Check out this cuteness! Lucy and Ringo both squeezed into the old wicker bed. We've had this bed for many years; it was Benny's wh...